Koni Suspension Discussion

cztdudu

Hi I am happy owner of colt czt, I just bought one. I like the car but I think the suspension is no good. I really want to fit sport shocks like Koni but Koni don't make shocks for the CZT. I saw some photos from this forum and you guys have fiited Konis on some of your CZT. So can I ask some help? You can tell me from what car and what year you take the Koni shocks, maybe you have part numbers?

I am sory I don;t speak Greek and can only use the forum very very a little with Translator, so if anyone can answer me inEnglish it wil be very good.

Thanks from Malta.

First of all welcome to our Colt//Club...we'll be happy to help you answer any questions or solve any problems you have...at least we'll try...

About the KONI suspension...indeed here in Greece a lot of members have chosen KONI Sport for their Colt..since there is no official KONI exactly for Colt the Greek representative of KONI suggested that we fit shocks from another car..

So for the front the code is: 11086411437SPORT from LAGUNA 2

and for rear is: 11080615SPORT from PASSAT year '96

Here, although you cant understand greek, there are photos from the hole procedure of fitting them (it requares some modification aw you will see): fitting photos

KONI Sport is usually combined with Eibach springs...and with HR...

I hope to be helpful...

First of all welcome to our Colt//Club...we'll be happy to help you answer any questions or solve any problems you have...at least we'll try...

About the KONI suspension...indeed here in Greece a lot of members have chosen KONI Sport for their Colt..since there is no official KONI exactly for Colt the Greek representative of KONI suggested that we fit shocks from another car..

So for the front the code is: 11086411437SPORT from LAGUNA 2

and for rear is: 11080615SPORT from PASSAT year '96

Here, although you cant understand greek, there are photos from the hole procedure of fitting them (it requares some modification aw you will see): fitting photos

KONI Sport is usually combined with Eibach springs...and with HR...

I hope to be helpful...

Thanks man that was a great help. When I go to see the photos you suggested I always get this notice from forum:-"Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available".

I am sure I am logged in correclty. I can't do anyhting more as it is in Greek. Would it be possible for you to cut and paste the photos in your browser and email them to me at toniocachia@yahoo.com?

Thanks

Οκ! Antony!

To keep the rest updated as to what we are talking about...

Antony is looking for a suspension upgrade to cope with the bad roads in Malta (I presume they are more or less the same with the Greek roads).

Well Koni's are not bad and they are most definitely a very good upgrade from the stock Sachs.

If you have uneven roads with lots of bumps potholes etc, i personally suggest NOT to use lowering springs, but the stock springs, to give the shocks their full working length to cope with the irregular roads, especially if you don't use your car in race tracks.

I still have my Koni's but i do not want to sell them since i want to have always a backup supension in case i repair or modify my coilovers in the future!

Welcome to the Colt/Club :D

Thanks guys, it is really friendly forum in 1 day I got many answers and hello's, much better than in other forums.

If anyone has koni shocks and eibachs they want to sell I am interested.

Chris I want to lower the car also so it looks better. With standard springs it looks like a small van it is so high!!!

Also I may shorten the shock a little so that the piston inside it goes back up to the level it is when you have standard springs

Would anyone suggest a better shock than Koni? My use will be road use with a few hillclimbs which are held on normal roads, not very good roads with bumps bad camber etc.

If you want to combine aesthetic lowering with a proper working shock, and you don't race your car in tracks,...

look no further than than the KW Variant 2 for the Colt Czt.

It is designed for this car and is not an ingenius patent like the Koni solution.

We have tried it and it works well under all conditions.

Unfortunately it is about double the cost of the Koni setup.

You can try to find it from the internet at a better price than your local KW dealer.

If you are tight on cash the Koni's will have to do, but combine them rather than the 2,5cm lowering springs by Eibach, rather than the 3,0cm Eibachs or the H&R's.

If you want to combine aesthetic lowering with a proper working shock, and you don't race your car in tracks,...

look no further than than the KW Variant 2 for the Colt Czt.

It is designed for this car and is not an ingenius patent like the Koni solution.

We have tried it and it works well under all conditions.

Unfortunately it is about double the cost of the Koni setup.

You can try to find it from the internet at a better price than your local KW dealer.

If you are tight on cash the Koni's will have to do, but combine them rather than the 2,5cm lowering springs by Eibach, rather than the 3,0cm Eibachs or the H&R's.

Yes Chris KW are good I read this but they are too much for me. I was going to get 022 eibachs -2cms not 023 eibachs-3cms.

Plus I might shorten the shock to get it in the normal working range. I was also going to set the konis on full soft too keep ride good or this is not good?

Ok it is the Koni's then...

How are you going to shorten the shocks?

Koni Sport shock absorbers (yellow) are designed to work with lowering springs, so lowering them by 2,5cm is considered to be ok.

In the front they fit in the stock strut (McFerson) and they are secured in place by a screw in the lower part (bottom) of the strut. The rear ones fit exactly although you might have to slightly grind down the lower part of the shock to fit it in the axle.

There is no way to shorten the shocks if you want them to fit in the car.

My opinion on the firmness as i have posted here is that you adjust 50-75% in front and 35-50% rear.

At full soft i have never tried the car, since i like my ride hard, and dont like to mess around too much unless there is a problem.

at 50F/35R you will have a very civilised and not an uncomfortable ride.

The more you tighten the rear (keeping the front unaltered) you will have a stabler rear but with the tendency to brake off easier, the tighter the more sudden.

The tighter the rear the steadier the car under heavy braking as long as your front is tight too.

Start at 50F/35R and see if this is to your liking... then feel free to play.

I feel that there should be about 15-25% difference between the F/R but you might want your setup to have a more playful tail... it is up to you ^_^

I have seen this mod done before. You shorten the rod at the top and than remachine it to the original shape. I hope you understand me.

Anyway I agree with you, for 2-3cms it porbably is not worth the trouble doing this.

You cannot do this on the Koni's because you have your adjustment valve rod and adjuster right at the top...

Archived